I'm sitting in Starbucks right now. Starbucks always seems to give me a sense of familiarity and calamity. No matter where you are (especially around the parts where I live) you can almost always find a Starbucks (or many!) in at least a one-mile radius from where you are. You walk in, in the winter season, and a sense of warmth envelops your body and soul. Your mind is filled with the quintessential Christmas music. It's almost impossible not to smile; it's all somewhat surreal. The two quirky men behind the counter take my order. I normally go for a chai, but I have been so sweetly manipulated by the holiday cheer, I toss my "usual" out the window and go for a gingerbread latte. After all, I'm no Grinch. I want to play my part in the festivities that so American-ly go with this day. "What's your name?" they as me. I reply "Dana" and my mom gives me an inquisitive look. "Are you sure that's your name?" they question me with a small smirk on their face. Because I cannot lie, I reply saying I never give my real name. It's just much too difficult. They insist, so I proceed to give them my real name. "Toleene" Good guess, boys. This launched us into an in depth conversation on parents with normal names giving "unique" names to kids and vice versa. The man handing me my drink tells me all about his German ancestry and his interesting last name of "Loudermilk." Case and point my friends on why I say Dana or Anne. At the same time if I always go for the easier way and run through life I wouldn't converse with as many people; I wouldn't learn and talk to as many people from as many walks of life. Maybe from now on I'll give Talene a shot.
Moving on a little while into my caffeinated experience, I made a friend. Well, somewhat at least. I talked to what I think was a homeless man. As I tried to find a spot in the shop where I could access wireless, I found myself besides a bearded man with less teeth than normal. "How goes your Christmas?" he so joyfully asked me. I replied "really well" though that was somewhat of a lie, because the only thing I have done today was wake up and drive a couple hours to get to Big Bear. I cordially asked him how his was and he said "Well, I woke up with raindrops on my head, but I am breathing and above ground so I would say today is a really good day" I wish I could explain to you the rest of our conversation, but to be completely honest, I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. It really didn't matter though. Here was a man who tore down social boundaries and bursted my self absorbed "don't-look-at-anyone-but-your-computer" mentality, all without knowing what he was doing. He seemed just happy to be alive, drinking some warm beverage, and enjoying the shelter from the rain that Starbucks was so conveniently providing. We can all learn from you sir. Thank you for being who you are, and I wish you a warm and blessed Merry Christmas.
The most extraordinary of experiences can happen in the most ordinary of situations. Don't rush through life so you don't experience them. Smile at a stranger. Do something to bless someone (which I most definitely guarantee with bless you mightily). And most importantly, genuinely love your neighbor.
1 comment:
There's nothing wrong with using your real name. But then again, there's nothing wrong with using a fake name either. I like to tell the cashiers at coffee shops that my name is Ron (only sometimes).
Post a Comment