I saw decapitation the other day.
I saw a twelve year old girl enslaved to child labor.
I saw three women burned alive because they were locked in a flaming sewing room.I saw a man waist high in water trying to save a baby from drowning after a tsunami.
I saw a man, HIV positive, holding his very sickly baby boy.
I saw a malnourished African child's bones protruding through her calloused skin.
I saw hundreds people being herded like cattle as they tried to get food due to the country's depression.
The other day I saw pictures that captured my mind and revealed to me more about the world than I would have known otherwise. There is only so much words can do to depict a story. A picture on the other hand, gets a person as close as they can without actually being there. You do not have to imagine the expression on a man's face; you can see it. There aren't secrets in a picture. Pictures teach. Pictures reveal. Pictures make you discover.
Maybe this is the reason I love photography so much. I want my photographs to make a difference. I want them to evoke emotion in people. I have a long way to go but I'm working on it. I'm excited for the many more adventures that are to come with me and Snappy (my D60).
[Maybe I should buy that book that seemed to effect me so much. It was a collection of LIFE magazine pictures throughout the century. Truly amazing. I think it will be one of the best way to spend ten bucks.]
No comments:
Post a Comment